Juicing is a process which extracts water and nutrients from produce and discards the indigestible fiber.
- Without all the fiber, your digestive system doesn’t have to work as hard to break down the food and absorb the nutrients. This is especially helpful if you have a sensitive digestive system or illness that inhibits your body from processing fiber.
- After removing the fiber from fruits and vegetables, juice is absorbed into your blood stream quickly. If you are only juicing fruits, this would cause a rapid spike in blood sugar and unstable blood sugar levels. This could lead to mood swings, energy loss, memory problems and more.
- Without fiber in the juice, some people tend to get hungry again quickly.
- Between the actual juicing and the cleaning of the juicer, the process takes time.
Smoothies consist of a drink with the entire fruit or vegetable and its skin. This means it contains all of the fiber from the produce.
- Blending breaks the fiber apart (which makes the fruit and vegetables easier to digest)
- Smoothies helps create a slow, even release of nutrients into the blood stream and avoids blood sugar spikes
- They are more filling, because of the fiber.
- They are faster to make
Consideration: Most fruits and vegetables don’t have a lot of calories, but when you start adding Yogurt, peanut butter, oats, vanilla-flavored soy milk, and half an avocado to your smoothie, the total calorie count escalates quickly.
Which one is your favorite?